5/19/2005

Why My Children Will Need Therapy More Than Higher Education...

To further chronicle my growing list of reasons my children will need therapy...

Ben's first, since kindergarten that is, girlfriend broke up with him a week ago today.

I found out on Monday...despite asking about it and her!

He's on the phone, but he's not talking to Her, so I ask if she's back in town. (He told me she was away for the weekend at a Girl Scout camp.) He nods yes. I ask if everything's all right with them. He cups his hand over the phone and says they broke up last Thursday but he's talking to Brad right now and anyway, he's fine.

"Tell him you'll call him right back," I say.

He rolls his eyes and says, "I gotta go, yeah. My mom. I'll call you right back."


I have on my very best, open and concerned Mom face. I sit on his bed, absolutely still, not saying anything else because, after all, I've just had a refresher course on Friday on "What to Say To A Dying Person," and have resolved to LISTEN and not jump in to MAKE IT ALL BETTER!

"Ben, why didn't you tell me?" I demand.

He has the courtesy NOT to roll his eyes. Instead he gives me that smug little smirk he's been perfecting and says, "I didn't tell you because I thought you'd over-react."

ME?! OVER-FREAKING-REACT???!!!

Get real! I've never OVER-reacted in my life!!!

I take to my bed. I spend a sleepless night, tossing and turning. My son LIED to me!! What's next, drugs? Alcohol? Will he turn to a life of crime? I envision myself...on my death bed, then dead and buried (it's not pretty). I just know Ben'll think, out of sight, out of mind, and go on as if nothing happened...THAT'S how little I mean to him! He couldn't come and talk to me! ALL boys talk to their mothers about GIRLS! How else will they know how to have a healthy relationship? OH MY GOD!!! WHERE DID I GO WRONG???!!!

OVER-REACT MY ASS!!!!!

I have made another $100 contribution to the Therapy/College Tuition fund.

No comments: