9/05/2009

Way Up Yonder…Life in the Country

 

Up Yonder

 

Up here, when the neighbors come calling, it looks like this…

043

   Margie and Patrick caught me sitting in the middle of the field, staring at a plant I could’ve sworn was Angel Trumpet, which it was…but it’s more commonly known as Jimson Weed and is deadly poisonous.

 

048

  047

  If I hadn’t found it on a Google search, I know my friend, Beth, could’ve told me all about it.  She’s good that way…and her pictures are a lot better, too.

 

035  I stood up behind the old home place this morning, looking down toward the Lil Sister Cabin and beyond that, my cabin, thinking I could feel Fall nibbling around the edges of late Summer.  The grass is drying up. Some leaves are falling, their tips brown and crisp from days on end of heat. 

 

037 

The burn pile’s waiting on the late September rains that always come, bringing with them the cooler weather that heralds another Autumn.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Wow, thanks for the kind words, Nancy, but I like your pictures a lot and don't think I could do much better. And I hope you won't think less of me if I tell you that I actually rely heavily on Google and my bookshelf of wildflower books to identify most of what I see.

Oh dear, now I have the song Back in the Saddle Again going through my head...."Back in the saddle again, Out where a friend is a friend, Where the longhorn cattle feed On the lowly Jimson Weed, Back in the Saddle again." And then, of course, comes the Yippy Yi Yi Yays,and now it's going to go through my head all day long...

I really love your country place up yonder. :-)